JEFF L. MILAM
A seasoned litigator of 39 years, Jeff L. Milam started his career as a defense lawyer, handling a portfolio of insurance cases, as well as medical and legal malpractice claims. He eventually became the managing attorney overseeing a division of 40 employees, including lawyers and staff. After 20 years at larger firms, Mr. Milam founded his own boutique practice and over the last ten years has won for his clients more than $23 million in awards and settlements.
Versatile and scrappy, Mr. Milam has prevailed in a number of noteworthy cases through his meticulous research and dynamic courtroom arguments. Among them: defending a client’s ownership rights to early seasons of “Saturday Night Live;” an eight-figure settlement in connection with a high-profile auto death; and a six-figure award for a client who was partially blinded by an exploding toy. Mr. Milam has also successfully pursued claims against the Nissan Motor Company and CalTrans.
Mr. Milam received his Bachelor of Arts, with honors, from Amherst College in 1973, and his Juris Doctorate, with honors, from the University of Santa Clara in 1976, the same year he was admitted to the California Bar.
J. Thomas Hunsucker
Tom Hunsucker brings to the firm almost 40 years of experience as a litigator, primarily for personal and commercial insurance carriers. Tom gained his unique perspective in smart, efficient case administration as the founding Managing Director of California Staff Counsel for Prudential Property and Casualty Insurance Company, and Prudential-LMI Commercial Insurance Company. Tom holds a Bachelor of Business Administration from George Washington University in Washington, D.C. and is a graduate of the Law School at the University of California, Los Angeles.
- …lawyers refer to Jeff in the courtroom as ‘scary smart’.“Jeff Milam’s brilliance takes you by surprise. He is a beautiful speaker, with a great ability to connect with people. He is very skilled at analyzing situations and explaining to clients all of their options. It would be a serious mistake...”.
- …one of the greats.“As a trial lawyer for 27 years with national experience, I recognize good and great trial lawyers. Good trial lawyers demonstrate competence, thoroughness and sustained focus, but the great trial lawyers also bring a deep concern and connection with their clients...”.
- I know of no better in the courtroom…“As a commercial claims supervisor and a director of risk management for two major manufacturing companies, I’ve had the pleasure of working with Jeff Milam for over 30 years. I have heavily relied on his legal skills to protect the companies under my charge...”.
- Jeff has an uncanny ability to understand the business needs and goals of his clients…“As a communications professional with more than 30 years of experience, I am trained to deal with the court of public opinion. However, when my company needed to retain a seasoned professional to represent it in the court of law, we went directly to Jeff Milam...”.
- …I would turn to them first for any legal problem.“Jeff Milam represented me for life changing injuries that I suffered in a motorcycle accident. Through it all, it was clear that he and his firm truly cared about me, my wife, my family, the effects the injuries had on us, and our concerns in going through a difficult law suit...”.
- …our go-to attorney for the bad cases.“While I was a claims supervisor for the Ohio Casualty Group of Insurance Companies in Southern California, Jeff Milam was our go-to attorney for the bad cases. He relates easily to juries in an intelligent, well-spoken and common-sense manner. With his level-headed approach...”.
- …[He] made me feel that my case was important and was being handled with utmost care and professionalism.“While riding my motorcycle to work in the early morning hours on the Pomona Freeway, a hidden but preventable defect in the roadway from ongoing construction caused loss of traction of my motorcycle tires resulting in a severe crash...”.